Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chelsea, 39 Steps, Snowy Trafalgar Square!


Thursday, January 24th 2013, 

Last Friday the 18th, I, joined by two girls on my trip, went to the National Army Museum located in Chelsea.  Maybe it was the snow falling down as we walked through the city of Chelsea, making me feel like I was walking through a scene from Harry Potter, but I fell in love with Chelsea.  Around every corner there are unique shops and alley ways.  Upon leaving the tube station on our trek to find the museum, we were supposed to go right and we definitely went left, but it ended up being my favorite part of the day. We found a cute square with park benches, statues and telephone booths all dusted with snow making the place seem like a fairytale.  We continued walking the wrong way and soon found ourselves staring at Mozarts old house. It is amazing how anywhere I walk in London, whether it's where I want to be going or not, will lead me to a piece of history. Once reaching Mozarts house we decided we were probably going the wrong way and decided to turn around and try again.  Now going the other direction we passed the Royal Hospital of Chelsea, which is where Kate was just treated days earlier for morning sickness.  We eventually found the museum and learned centuries of the United Kingdoms history.  I am going back again because we were there for hours and I still did not see it all! 




Chelsea--right by Mozarts house!

Later that night, the 18th, FIE, my school in London, paid for all of its students to go see 39 Steps. So my whole CSBSJU group boarded the Picadilly line to Picadilly Circus to go see the show.  39 Steps is a very famous comedy currently in London. It consists of many characters; however, only 4 actors play all of them. From this aspect alone it was extremely entertaining seeing some of the main characters changing characters within seconds right on stage.  It made my respect grow so much for actors and actresses, and was unlike any play I had ever seen. 


39 Steps with the whole CSBSJU group in Piccadilly Circus!


Last Sunday the 20th it was snowing in London, as it had been doing all week. Everyone was studying for their midterm for their Islam class, which I am not in. I did not want to waste the day sitting in the flat, so I decided it was the perfect day for my first solo excursion in London. I still had not been to Trafalgar Square, so I figured what better day than during the snow, and I was right.  I wish the pictures could do it justice because it was breathtaking.  The morning after I was reading the paper and it said this is the worst blizzard London has experienced in a decade. Coming from Minnesota it is hard not to laugh, but is very cool to be a part of this weather history! 





 Trafalgar Square in the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment